Thursday, April 25, 2013


Fashion musings from a plus size grandmother

 

I love fashion; I would rather shop than eat.  As a teen I was already plus size, 16 on top/14 bottom.  By eigth grade those poodle swing skirts and twin sets were not cutting it, so I learned how to sew.  Using tradional styles, cut larger, was frustrating.

sack dress - mine was much this shape
 
Then I discovered the sack dress, (Sack dress definition, a loose, unbelted dress that hangs straight from the shoulder to the hemline).  What freedom, no more trying to get bodice to fit onto the  waist and cinching it all with a belt. 
With this as influence, I sewed a striking dress  made of a wine/red dress weight flannel, featuring a plain round neckline' three quarter sleeves and stopping justshort of my knee.  The addition of big belt loops at the hip and a wide black belt; black tights and black Mary Jane’s and I was styling.  My school mates christened it my Beatnik dress.

Valerie with daughters Leisa and Vavielle
 
In this photo I am in my mid twenties and happy with my fashion sense.  At size 16/18 I could seldom buy "off the rack" so sewed my own.
Even though this appears to be a busy pattern closer examination reveals geometrics in white and pink grounded by black. Yes, my main stay has always been black.   This dress was made for a wedding and I purchased a high end poly blend fabric.  The fabric had a lovely drape and no wrinkle.  Tip: if you sew purchase the best quality fabric you can.  This also applies to ready made clothing. Notice I said quality not cost.



The original dress was floor length, this was the 1970s; and I wore it that way a few times.  Then hemmed to the knee and a sleeve transformation and voila, a dress for church. 
 


Fast forward forty  years and I am looking for an outfit that is as representative of my personality and as comfortable as the Beatnik dress.  Time has certainly improved the fabrics we have available, polyester and spandex being point in case. 

 Black is often my colour of choice.  In this photo the top  has a band of rose colour at the neckline as well and several bands below the bust and for ties.  When working for  "LeisaB accessories" a jeweller artist, I wear the merchandise.  Black is the perfect foil for the jewellery.

 
 
One of my first fashion lessons was how to build a wardrobe,  manyof you  own a closet full of clothes but have nothing to wear?
 
The first step is to choose a basic colour; for me it is black; brown or navy also work. Then you purchase or closet shop for the fundaments; pants, cropped pants, a skirt (many of us mature ladies avoid skirts due to our over developed tummies!), dress, shell, sweater, and jacket. 
 Now pick a complimentary colour pink, blue, green, orange, purple and even white. So you are off to the theatre and you want to look sharp and yet be comfy. Pull on those pants ( Mine are black TanJAY petites 92% POLYSTER/8% SPANDEX, SIZE 20 – however they still fit when I am size 24! ), add a dressy polyester black and white top, black sandals or shoes, a light wrap of black coat ( depending on the weather) and we are good to go!
 
Please follow my Fashion Musings.  I will cover under wear, choosing a bathsuit (horrors), taking stock of your assets, best retailers and a host of other topics. You can ask questions or give me ideas. Give me feed back!  Please.

5 comments:

  1. I love shopping too ....I like nice bright colors,I used to wear alot of black but not so much anymore, I live in jeans,so everything I buy revolves around causal clothes..since we moved out west, it is very seldom that I wear a dress or dress up, seems no one does out here, everything is causal or I just don't run in the right circles..in any case love your Blogs, looking forward to the rest of them..really looking forward to your bathing suit blog, that dreaded bathing suit we all strive to find, that makes us look better....Is there such a thing???lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie, you are definitely my most faithful reader. Jeans deserve in seperate blog of my "Fashion Musings", with "Under it all" coming next, to followed by "Sink or Swim"!

      Delete
  2. Marilyn, I could use your suggestions re the layout. I do not like the heading running over the hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just change to colour from black to orange and see if that makes a difference. I think the orange will pop.

    ReplyDelete