Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Next to the skin – the Reg Grundys

Undergarments are clothes worn under other clothes, often next to the skin. They keep outer garments from being soiled by bodily secretions and discharges, shape the body, and provide support for parts of it. Other terms for undergarments are; Underclothes, underclothing and underwearare formal terms. In Australia they are called Reg Grundys (rhyming slang for undies) and Reginalds, and, in the United Kingdom, smalls (from the earlier smallclothes) and (historically) unmentionables. In the United States, women's underwear may be known as delicates due to the recommended washing machine cycle.
 
Women's undergarments collectively are called lingerie. They also are called intimate clothing and intimates. Not wearing underwear under outer clothing is known in American slang as freeballing for men or freeboobing for women, or as going commando for either sex. Undergarments are clothes worn under other clothes, often next to the skin. They keep outer garments from being soiled by bodily secretions and discharges, shape the body, and provide support for parts of it. Other terms for undergarments are; Underclothes, underclothing and underwearare formal terms. In Australia they are called Reg Grundys (rhyming slang for undies) and Reginalds, and, in the United Kingdom, smalls (from the earlier smallclothes) and (historically) unmentionables. In the United States, women's underwear may be known as delicates due to the recommended washing machine cycle. (Wikipedia)

Now those skinny minis may get away with freeboobing or going commando however if you are a plus size or past you thirties it is a choice I would not recommend.  When asked why they choose not to wear a bra, freeboobing, women reply “I cannot get a bra that fits” or “they hurt, or are uncomfortable”.   Really ladies after your shoes, what is the first thing you take off when you get home?

How I hated this!
In the eighth grade I went from a little pudge to a 36D and I hated it!  My clothes did not fit, the boys kept looking at my chest and the crude ones called me “General Dairies”. To make matters worse the bras my friends wore did not contain my chest and the Playtex white, all cotton, circle bra was my lingerie!  I hated them, they dug in, and the white turned grimy and worse of all the straps wore furrows in my shoulders.




 

note the sectioned cup
 

The years few by, I grew up and so did bra manufactures.  Enter the underwire, support from below, no more raw shoulders.  Trial and error showed that I did best with a seamed cup; I have since learned that I have balloon breasts and that smooth one piece cup does nothing for me. Playtex Women’s Secrets Signature Floral Underwire Bra   was my best fit for over twenty years, then I gained weight and their largest size did not fit.

 
 
My Elomi as a better fit
fully containing brest
 
Attempting to find a suitable bra became my passion, I purchased from the sublime to the absurd.  Some received one wearing and was passed on.  My chief issue was not finding a large enough bra but one that fit in snug between my breasts, and laid flat on my breast bone.  Then I discovered The Girls Bra Shop Inc. for quality bras, expert bra fitting and foundational garments. They are located in: Rothesay, NB and St. John's, NFL -Rothesay 1.888.344.9393/ St. John's 1.877.719.6338.  Here I purchased an Elomi bra – beautiful, expensive and it fit.   I have treated her with care and almost five years later she looks like new.  However my illnesses has progressed, and edema and weight gain have played havoc with fit.
 
 
 

the Intimates comfort bra
Enter Penningtons and their Intimates comfort bra, ahhh…  It holds them up, I can tuck them in, and this bra does not dig in.

Made of 95% nylon and 5% Spandex it has the look and feel of Wick away cotton and definitely breathes. 

Unfortunately, Penningtons do not seem to be currently carrying this bra.  I did find a very similar one at their sister store Addition Elle.

 
Do I get the same frontal look as my Elomi or the Playtex?   No, but I am covered and respectable. I have the Intimate comfort bra in all three sizes and treat them with as much respect as the expensive girls.  Never, ever put a bra in the dryer. Strive to wash your bras by hand; if you must machine wash put each one in a lingerie bag and wash on gentle and cold or warm water.

The best way to purchase a bra is at a reputable specialized or department stores.  Sales staff is trained to measure and fit.  However if the size they measure does not feel comfortable, try a size or a cup size up or down and try a variety of styles.  Purchasing a bra is not for the faint hearted.  At http://brayola.com you can take a photo of yourself in your favorite bra, upload it to them and their experts will analyze your fit.  And yes, you can crop your head!

Panties, knickers, undies and one piece foundations deserve a blog of their own.  Leave me your bra woes and wishes.  An expert once told me that women often change in their bra size every six months; now isn’t that enough to make you go freeboobing!   Please leave your comments and questions.
 
this gal might have a great body, but ...
She needs a better bra!
(and yes I think this has been photoshopped!)




1 comment: